Ever since kindergarten, I have gone to a small, private Catholic school where everyone was required to wear uniforms and follow a strict set of rules. As a small girl, I followed the regulations without any questions, I did exactly what I was told, and never questioned authority because I was afraid of the consequences. When I got a little older, I began to explore my own creativity more and more. I began to love wearing jewelry and adorning my wardrobe with as many colors as possible. I did not understand why my teachers did not approve of my bracelets or colorful hair ribbons. They told me I would receive a uniform violation if I did not refrain from wearing such accessories. So instead of expressing my creativity, my true self, I followed the rules.
I went onto a bigger high school, still with a uniform, where the rules and restrictions seemed much less limited and more bearable. I was excited, and I began to express myself through handmade friendship bracelets, patterned headbands, and painting my nails the colors of the rainbow. This, to me, was freedom.
As the years progressed, however, I noticed how sheltered my educational experience had made me. I noticed that by dressing the same, we conformed to the same idea; we were forced to attend mass, and ultimately act in the same fashion. Although students were highly encouraged to develop interests in sports, the arts, and volunteer opportunities, we all were made to follow the same set of rules. I began to wonder what we really stood for... to follow the teachings of Jesus, right? Didn't Jesus teach us to love one another regardless of how we look? Why does it matter, then, that we have a uniform, or conform to the same rules? Why must the priests be men, if Jesus loves everyone equally? Why are homosexuals looked down upon? Why is the attendance to mass every Sunday mandatory if Jesus is with us everywhere?
These are questions that I have begun to ponder- they make no sense to me. I hope, in my blog, to answer some of these difficult questions and explain the underlying thoughts of the Catholic Church.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment